Civil Litigation Lawyer Burnaby - When a business enterprise encounters financial issues, one of the most important things you can do is choose the right group to help you navigate the process. bankruptcies, business restructuring and insolvencies could be amongst the most difficult of experiences. Our Business Restructuring and Insolvency Group has a wealth of skill to be able to help you handle these situations. Our lawyers are uniquely positioned to give advice and representation, leading to effective, strategic and timely solutions.
Our clients come from numerous different enterprises within businesses such as airline, automotive, biomedical, construction, entertainment, communications, financial services, healthcare, funeral, manufacturing, marketing, insurance, steel, mining, technology, real estate, retail and natural resources. Our lawyers can assist you with the difficulties of cross-border proceedings administered under either Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code or the Canada Companies' Creditors Arrangement ("CCAA"). We have extensive experience with multi-national and domestic business restructurings and reorganizations, whether court-supervised or informal. Bankruptcy and Insolvency restructuring legislation within the U.S. and Canada have a similar debtor-in-possession focus; nonetheless, the laws of the two jurisdictions are different enough to need those involved in cross-border procedures to be well-informed about both jurisdictions. In recent years our lawyers have advised stakeholders and intermediaries in many of the biggest insolvencies and restructurings under the CCAA, the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ("BIA") and the Winding-up and Restructuring Act.
Access to the needed professionals may be able to help tip the scales in your favour of outcomes that are positive during business restructuring and insolvency. We are able to draw on the knowledge of our skillful members across our worldwide firms in the many legal fields dealing with business reorganizations. Our company has experts in banking and securitization, mergers and acquisitions, labour and employment, private and public equity, real property and intellectual property, and governmental relations. In cases of insolvency needing advocacy before trial and appellate courts, our team provides expert litigators.
For the numerous stakeholders we represent, our services consist of the following:
1. We advise financially challenged businesses about restructuring options and alternatives like initiating and directing formal restructuring procedures under the CCAA and the BIA.
2. We give advice to boards of directors and special/independent committees of public and private corporations about companies in financial distress.
3. We advise in relation to insolvent business debtors, including providing advice in the context of cross-border restructuring procedures, to non-regulated and institutional lenders, members of and agents to operational, term, second-lien and asset-based lenders, lending syndicates, distressed debt investors, bondholders, trust indenture trustees, formal and ad hoc noteholders committees, and hedge fund and private equity investors.
4. We advise formal and ad-hoc creditors committees in cases being administered under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code related to cross-border and Canadian restructuring proceedings.
5. We advise secured creditors about the enforcement of their security, privately and through court-supervised processes and the protections of their interests and rights in insolvency proceedings.
6. We advise trustees in liquidators, bankruptcy, monitors, receivers, construction lien trustees, interim receivers and other court-appointed officers in CCAA procedures and proposals under the BIA, comprising receiverships and bankruptcies.
7. We advise equipment vendors and leasers, suppliers, contracting third parties, and commercial landlords in restructuring and insolvency realizations and proceedings and in relation to insolvent or defaulting debtors.
8. We advise purchasers acquiring businesses or distressed assets in cases administered under the BIA and CCAA, from trustees in bankruptcy and from privately or court-appointed receivers.
9. In insolvency procedures, we assist investment bankers, financial advisors, and other consultants.
10. In the context of insolvency, business restructuring and bankruptcy cases, we give counsel could a wide range of litigation problems.
11.We can prosecute and defend in litigating actions and preference actions. These may be for the fraudulent conveyance of assets or the acquiring of urgent relief to preserve and protect assets from dissipation, like for example mareva injunctions, injunctions, and anton pillar orders.
Click to Download the pdf